Even if you don't work in a religious school, you might still want to teach children about Lent and why it is an important part of the Christian calendar.
I find that it helps to explain part of the Easter celebrations and gives children some context.
Some of the parts of Lent which are a good basis to teach children are:
- What Lent actually is
- Where the traditions came from
- How it is celebrated
- When it is
- The Story of Lent
- The different symbols
Introducing them to these can give a solid basis not just for RE lessons but also in history classes.
Fun ways to celebrate and learn about Lent in your class:
- Encourage the class to think about the things they might give up for Lent
- Create and draw the things they are grateful for in their lives
- Create posters
- Act out the Lent story as a drama
- Carry out secret good deeds around the school
- Try some traditional foods and discuss the importance.
Have a look at my Lent PowerPoint and Worksheet lesson for extra ways to teach children about this holiday.
What other ways can you celebrate Lent in schools? Let me know.
Never miss a post!
Or you can: